The secrets of fabulous skin are quite simple- here are easy 5 lifestyle steps to start at home in between rejuvenating facials.
1. Always wear sunscreen– It’s estimated that 80% of skin aging is due to sun damage. That’s right, that means the majority of wrinkles and pigmentations are preventable if you wear UV sunblock year round, even on cloudy days, as the aging UVA rays penetrate glass and clouds. We love SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense 50 for its light matte sheer finish!
2. Get Plenty of Sleep– You’ll not only feel better, you’ll look better too. That’s because while you’re snoozing your body is working hard to regenerate from the stress of the day and rebuilding of skin, which is why too many late nights will show up on our face in dark circles and dull skin.
3. Get Active and Move– Any activity that increases circulation will bring blood and nutrients to your skin. You don’t have to go to the gym – it can be brisk walking, yoga, even dancing (and sex). When your heart rate increases and oxygen surges to every cell, it results in collagen production, meaning stronger, smoother and younger skin!
4. Stop Smoking– Why does smoking lead to sallow and wrinkly skin? It destroys the vitamin C that keeps the collagen fibers attached to your skin, causing pores to be dilated. Because the skin of a smoker takes longer to heal, some plastic surgeons actually refuse to operate on smokers. Kick the habit early and start looking younger.
5. Eat Well– You are what you eat. Try these beauty superfoods to give your skin a boost. Fatty fish such as salmon and sardines are the best source of essential fatty acids (EFA’s including omega-3) and should be eaten 3x’s a week since our bodies can’t product these on our own. This makes your skin, nail and hair looking silky. When you are in the supermarket, look for intensely colorful fruits and vegetables as they will have higher levels of anti-oxidants that prevents wrinkles.